The stone reads, “The Elm and Crepe Myrtle trees in this park and on these thoroughfares were planted and dedicated by The Atlanta Woman’s Club as a Living Memorial to our great statesman Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States, March 4, 1913 – March 4, 1921, Commander In Chief of his country during the Great World War. Advocate of permanent world peace through a League of Nations based upon the brotherhood of mankind.
Born Dec. 18, 1856 – died Feb 3, 1924. Dedicated this 25th day of May 1924.” President Wilson won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1919 for advocating international law and arbitration during the war, and outlining his view on post-war settlement through his “Fourteen Points.” These became the guiding principles for the Paris Peace Conference (1919-20), and included the establishment of the League of Nations, the predecessor of the United Nations. Mr. Wilson grew up in Augusta, Georgia, and lived in Atlanta for one year practicing law, starting in May 1882.
East Rock Springs Rd. & East Morningside Dr., and Bridle Path NE., Atlanta GA
City of Atlanta Office of Cultural Affairs
Robert Witherspoon, Project Supervisor, Public Art