This 21-feet bronze and marble statue depicts a woman being lifted from flames by a phoenix in flight. A phoenix is a bird from Epyptian mythology. The scuplture is allegorical in nature, symbolizing Atlanta’s rebirth after a devastating fire during the Civil War in 1864. It was dedicated in January, 1969 by the Rich’s Foundation. Given as a gift to the City of Atlanta, the sculpture commemorated Rich’s Department store’s 100th anniversary. The bronze sculpture, locally known as “The Phoenix” was moved from Spring Street and MLK Boulevard, refurbished and rededicated in 1996, and placed at the Five Points entrance of Woodruff Park as part of a $5 million dollar renovation. The sculpture was cast in Pietrasanta, Italy based on a maquette by Gamba Quinino, it has foundry marks of F. Vezzoni. As a young man, the artist/architect Jim Siegler worked for Rich’s in their planning department.
Artist: Jim Siegler (b. Augusta, Georgia 1930, resides Houston, Texas
Central Atlanta Progress
A.J. Robinson, President