This statue represents the moment the Angel of Peace – with an olive branch in her left hand – appears before a Confederate soldier preparing to fire his gun. The Angel has come to proclaim peace between North and South. The statue was dedicated on Oct 10, 1911, by then-Georgia Governor Hoke Smith and the Governor of Connecticut, Simeon E. Baldwin. The monument was donated by the Gate City Guard to commemorate its “Mission of Peace”, a group of Old Guard members visiting Northern cities and units that had fought against the South, coming here.
Sculptor was Allen G. Newman (1875-1940) from New York. See: www.geocities.com/pentagon/barracks/1938/page6.htm
14th Street Gate of Piedmont Park, Piedmont Rd., Atlanta GA 30309
City of Atlanta Office of Cultural Affairs
Robert Witherspoon, Project Supervisor, Public Art